An error occurred while enumerating the filter ‘/group[DisplayedOwner=’XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX’]’

Home/FIM Troubleshooting/An error occurred while enumerating the filter ‘/group[DisplayedOwner=’XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX’]’

An error occurred while enumerating the filter ‘/group[DisplayedOwner=’XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX’]’

Seems to be the week for silly errors. I was working on a custom workflow activity today, where I want to retrieve any group that has a particular DisplayedOwner, but kept getting the following error when the workflow was trying to use the Enumerate Resources Activity to search for a group :

System.InvalidOperationException: An error occurred while enumerating the filter ‘/group[DisplayedOwner=’XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX’]’. —> Microsoft.ResourceManagement.WorkflowDataExchangeException: System.InvalidOperationException: Schema retrieval failed.

The issue here is that the Xpath filter is actually case sensitive and “group” is not the same as “Group”, which is what the resource type is actually called. It was a simple matter to create a test set using the filter ‘/group[DisplayedOwner=’XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX’]’.

What was not so silly, however, is that the ‘group’ value was specified as part of a workflow configuration – the particular WF being executed could take a number of different object types as a configurable parameter in the Workflow Activity configuration. To fix this, all I had to do is change my ‘group’ parameter to ‘Group’… however when I did, it somehow got renamed back to ‘group’ – even if I changed it to something else (successfully) and then back again. In other words, my workflow configuration showed my parameter as ‘Group’, but the error above was still being thrown – but if I changed it to ‘Groupd’, the expected error contained ‘Groupd’

The only way to actually get it to change to a capital ‘G’ was to change the order on the workflow. It was as if that parameter was cached somehow, so there must be something funny going on with the XOML here.

By | 2013-04-11T13:09:00+00:00 April 11th, 2013|FIM Troubleshooting|0 Comments

About the Author:

Leave A Comment